Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter Weekend as a Queen :)

The Easter weekend was not only a great family time, but it was a busy time for my reign as Miss South Carolina International 2011.  The weekend began at the annual Easter Egg Hunt in Baxter village where I had the opportunity to speak about my platform and read the book, "When Donkeys Fly" by Ginger Hodge.  My sister teen queen, Avery Close was there also and spoke about her platform as well.  Since we both have a learning disability, we are focusing our platforms on Attention Deficit Disorder. 


 
The best part of the weekend was our ability  to give away 12 of the books to children who found special eggs that Avery and I hid.  A mother actually came up to us and thanked us for our work in this area since her 5 year old son has a mental disability.  That is what having a crown is all about.  It touched our hearts to know that we are making a difference in the lives of others.
 
The books were purchased by the Baxter Village Community Organization and 10% of the proceeds will be given to the Mental Health Association of the Central Carolinas.   Although the morning was a bit wet and cold, the work and the look on the children's faces were worth it!  To see the children light up as they received their book was priceless.

 

But that was just the beginning of the fabulous weekend.  The evening of the 23rd, my sister queens, Avery Close, Miss Teen South Carolina International and Elizabeth Malvasia, Mrs. South Carolina International and I were able to throw out the first pitch at the Charlotte Knights Baseball game.  I will be a PR intern for the Knights this summer so it was especially fun to set up this evening with my sister queens.  We all got a bit nervous as we took the field.  Luckily, we all made the ball go in the right direction and make it to the catcher!  Afterward, Avery, Elizabeth and I sat in the stands and enjoyed watching the game. 


 
I truly feel blessed to be a part of this amazing organization.  My sister queens are two very intelligent and dynamic young women and I am proud to be a queen with them.
 
That is all for now, but there are a lot of really great opportunities coming my way in the next few months. 
 
Sincerely,
 
Chelsea Gregory
Miss South Carolina International 2011

0 comments: