Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Miss Teen North Carolina International Update


Hello Everyone!
Its been a while since I last blogged! So decided to change that and let everyone know I didn't fall off the face of the planet and Im still using my title! Unfortunately I'm having a bit of a battle with my Lyme Disease and I've been at home sick for the past 3 days. Most of you who know me probably know I'm not one to just lay here. I'm extremely active so I am about bored out of my mind! For all of you who think pageants are all glitz and glamour, its not. Believe it or not we are real people too! Experiencing this flare up and going through treatment again brings me back to my childhood and shows the reality of my platform. It gives me even more of a drive and determination to fight this disease and help those who are affected by it. When I got home from nationals I decided I want to start my own organization called "Mae's Way". I want to go to different hospitals and clinics and talk to children about their disease and how to mentally and spiritually overcome their illness when there is no medical cure. I want to do simple things like provide gas cards and dinner gift certificates to parents. I want to just sit with the kids while the parents have time to go breathe and escape the exhaustion of the situation even if its only for an hour. I know how miserable I was laying in the ICU by myself, scared and bored. I know how I am right now just sitting on my couch missing all my friends! I also want to do simple arts and crafts to help pass the time. Its not an organization that will raise million of dollars to find the cure for every illness, but rather temporary smile for one child who is fighting every day just to survive. To be honest, I just want to help kids experience what I never had. To show that someone out there really does care about what they are going through and I know that at the moment life stinks and seems like there is no end, but they will overcome it. God has a reason, plan, and purpose for every circumstance we face. I constantly remind myself of that but its the hope that keeps me going! 


"Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
-James 1:2-4

0 comments: