Saturday, March 6, 2010

Miss North Carolina International March Appearances!! Project Potential and PWA Executive Committee Meeting!

Hello Hello!!

My first week as Miss North Carolina International has been absolutely amazing! I hit the ground running!! I had the wonderful opportunity to speak at Lexington High School for Project Potential. Project Potential at Lexington is organized by Chevon Burton and Cathy Coles (a fellow Wake Forest University alum!), and it encourages more students to reach their full potential by conducting themselves responsibly in high school, continuing their education beyond high school and preparing for a world of work and living. It provides hope for the future for children who may otherwise have no one else to support and encourage them. Project Potential selects students from nominated eighth graders each spring, and each Project Potential graduate receives scholarships to attend Davidson County Community College or an accredited college or university of their choice. I was so honored to be chosen as a speaker for this group of amazing students. It was such a great opportunity to share what I learned through college and life, and encourage students to always strive to be their best, embrace who they are and to never let anyone discourage them or bring them down. These students are so accomplished, and I am so proud of the wonderful work they have done!

Along with speaking at Lexington High School, I also had a meeting with the Positive Wellness Alliance Executive Committee. We discussed exciting new fundraising activities which include a Scavenger Hunt for church youth groups, a Pizza Hut fundraiser (March 25, coupons and details to come!) and a Fashion Show (that I am organizing!!) this fall! We are also developing new prevention and education programs. PWA is really expanding its presence in Forsyth county, so stay tuned for more updates on amazing PWA events!

(Picture index below: Top left, photo opp. with a few of the seniors; Middle left, the Superintendent and myself with one of the Lexington pigs; Middle right, addressing and joking around with the students about college meal plans; 2nd from the bottom, Project Potential organizers Cathy Cole, Chevon Burton and myself; bottom, PWA Executive Committee Luncheon at Firebirds)

Thank you for reading my blog, and stay tuned for my next blog! There will be updates on my meeting with my new wardrobe sponsor and..... I will be on the radio!! WBFJ, the Contemporary Christian station for the Piedmont Triad, has asked to do a spotlight on me for their Public Affairs broadcast!! I am so excited!! I will give you more details on my next blog!! I leave you with lyrics from one of my favorite Christian music artists Francesca Battistelli!

All of my love and blessings,

Kristie Tobias
Miss North Carolina International

"It's your life. What you gonna do? The world is watching you. Every day, the choices you make, say what you are and who your heart beats for, it's an open door. It's your life!" Francesca Battistelli
















0 comments: