Sunday, March 15, 2009

Womens ACC Tournament with FRIENDS







I am a spokesperson for FRIENDS for an earlier breast cancer detection organization. FRIENDS had a table set up at the women's ACC tournament. This organization is different because it provides direct grants to researchers that funds technology for earlier detection, instead of finding a cure. Our slogan was Ribbon Ends pointing upward in a new direction for earlier detection. It represents optimism for a better tomorrow! This was a 3 day event for me, so it was really great to see familiar faces coming back each day! We passed out pink ribbons (by we, I mean a team of volunteers, or as I like to say a team of FRIENDS). It was very touching to hear some people's stories of survival or loved ones lost to breast cancer. The ACC theme song was called "She can play," by Damien Horne. He also played a benefit concert downtown for the Organization. He also played at halftime of the Championship game (MD won!) and it was dedicated to former NCSU coach, Kay Yow, who lost her life to cancer this past year. His tribute was so wonderful to such a remarkable coach, woman, and friend! I got great reception at the Greensboro Coliseum, there were so many children's groups, families and some very cute little girls who were terrific! For the championship game, I got to sit on the court! There was also a team of great people that I got the pleasure of working with all weekend. Including the founder of FRIENDS, Marth Kaley who has been such an inspiration to me! Her hard work and sacrifice is changing lives around the world, and I feel so blessed to be a part of such a great organization!

0 comments: